Vancleave developed as a community in the early to mid-19th century on Bluff Creek which is a small tributary of view it now the Pascagoula River about 7 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico. The community was originally known as Bluff Creek until 1870 when the Postmaster named it Vancleave article in honor of a prosperous merchant named Robert Van Cleave who established a trading post on Bluff Creek.
Vancleave continued to be a rural town until the beginning of World War II after which ship building workers started to move to this area to construct ships to support the war efforts find out here now at the local shipyard. The shipyard was Ingalls, which was owned by Bob Ingalls. To this very day, this shipyard is one of the most prominent and important shipyards in the United States.
Today, Vancleave is the fastest growing town in Jackson County. Over the past 10 years, the population has increased by 25 percent. Vancleave is a bedroom resort community that is near 2 championship golf courses and many historic properties that are visit the website surrounded by bayous and wetlands on 3 sides.
Vancleave's has an attractive natural environment gives many opportunities for leisure as well as eco-tourism.